Monday, September 7, 2009

Two Brothers and a Hope for Something New

There were two very influential theologians in the twentieth century named Reinhold Niebuhr and H. Richard Niebuhr. They were brothers whose works as Christian ethicists changed the landscape of the Protestant church. I’ve read a great deal from both of them yet I always prefer Reinhold Niebuhr’s conclusions and trajectory. In fact, I consider him my most influential ethicist and favorite theologian. But what I like most about him is not always what he said but that he said and did something. This brings me to my point in writing this.

I frequently have reflections on our experiences where I blend my deeply held religious beliefs, interest in history, and passionate love of life into an thought that I then verbally pass onto others. They often tell me that I should write these down to share with others. My boss is most adamant about this because she believes I have a way of explaining things that would truly help grieving parents (I am a pediatric chaplain). Nevertheless, I don’t write and share these ideas because I feel fearful of putting my ideas out there before they are well thought out and refined… which is another way of saying bulletproof.

This brings me back to the Niebuhr brothers. I was told by someone who actually knew them as well as a seminary professor of mine that the reason Reinhold Niebuhr wrote so much more prolifically than his brother is that he did not regret having to go back and say something to the effect of, “I’ve grown since I wrote that and I’ve changed my stance.” However, H. Richard Niebuhr would spend much more time pouring over his writings before letting anyone see them. He was certainly never confined by his need to “be sure” of what he was saying before putting it out in a public arena as he did produce and publish several books, articles, and letters. Yet, even in his political stances, he was still bound by this need to think, examine, and consider to the point of inaction or late action. Reinhold Niebuhr was not this way. He said boldly what he believed and acted out those ideals.

I want that boldness but more importantly, I want that humility. I want to start writing these experiences and reflections for myself as well as others. The more time I spend with others, the more important it seems to share these things with one another and not leave them locked away. So, please accept this as my foray into blogging on chaplaincy, life experiences, and revelations of the Spirit. I hope this is an experience of growth, developing connections, cultivating humility, and much more.

No comments: