Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Response to Issue of Youth Involvement in Conferences

The following is my response to an excerpt entitled “Christian Conferences: Necessity or Distraction?” from Becky Garrison’s book entitled “Jesus Died for This?” posted on Youthworker.com.  In it, she tries to pull apart the difficulty of deciding how to invigorate youth’s spiritual growth through conferences, local involvement, etc. Among the issues she raises are the ways in which events speak to only a certain context.  To her, I wrote:

I understand that the issues raised in this piece are complex though I must quickly concede that I am not involved in youth work and do not pastor a congregation. I am a pediatric chaplain. Yet regardless of my role, I think it is a tough balance when looking at programed events. How are they set up? Who will benefit from it? What will be the lasting effect?

Honestly, I think it is very difficult to plan for a group and determine what will positively affect the most number of people. What is one person’s transformative experience is another’s distraction. We each find what we are looking for (even if it is not what we need).

When I think of my own conference experiences as a youth, most were fleeting moments of buzz but the new people I met and my exposure to a broader world of believers made an immeasurable impact upon me. In my adult life, I understand the types of events that will feed me most and choose those. They are usually more communal and intimate gatherings like the Quaker Pastoral Care Conference and the Pediatric Chaplains Network Annual Forum (which my spouse has lovingly dubbed “chaplain camp” because of how fun it is).

As an extravert, I need new people to cultivate new tools. But what do more introspective, introverted people need? I suspect the answer for most youth programs is in offering and providing many different types of encounters so that participants can come to understand the varying ways they connect and therefore develop an ever-evolving spiritual life. But regardless of how one chooses, I truly believe the Holy Spirit always does her work if we show up.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good points - this is an excerpt from a larger book where one of the themes I am exploring is the over reliance on the author/speaker expert model instead of exploring more grassroots sustainable models as well. Andrew Jones (Tall Skinny Kiwi) has done some amazing blogging on this topic. Becky G.

Chaplain Lavender Kelley said...

Becky,
They are definitely issues worth tackling. Best wishes to you in your continued visioning and work!