Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Living Forward

An entanglement of grief, hope, & wonder marks my day so far. Relationships are so wildly complex with abundant mixed blessings.

It all started so innocently when I began pulpit supply as a "side gig" to make some extra money. But as God would have it, I became the defacto interim minister for a congregation and over the past year I've married, buried, baptized, held, nurtured, loved, and been loved by this church. Over this time, God has also whispered into my heart about new callings and possibilities of someday being a parish minister. I’ve listened and opened myself up to the day when this may come.

But for now, I love these people and I know that my time is drawing to a close with them because they will soon call a new pastor. My duty as their defacto interim has been to nurture them along the way and I feel like I have. But they will never know fully how they have been part my healing and part of God’s larger plan for me.

As I sit to reflect today, I pray to be a good steward of what they have given me. I pray also that the meaning and the relationships we have shared will live on in ways that reflect the quality of our love. But no matter what, I know that I am forever made better by what they have shared with me.

No comments: